Your Garden will not green-grow
-if you do not water it properly-


Labels

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Gift of Silence

Reblogged from

A Journey with Art, Nature & Spirit

A Life Evolving

The Gifts from Silence

by Kate Zamarchi - Artist/Naturalist in Journey, Mandala, Silence, Spirituality

Our lives are quite full of man made sounds.  We have grown so accustomed to having constant sound many of us have grown uncomfortable with quiet.  Do you ever have the TV on as background sound?  The TV, radio, phones, all the electronic devices  clicking, beeping and chirping.  And even when they are all turned off – there is a constant hum in the atmosphere.  Till the electricity goes off….then it is quiet.

Peaceful HeronsWe take vacations to "get away" – sometimes we take the sounds with us.  But if we are lucky we really get away and instead enjoy the sounds of nature.  Today I was sitting at the ocean on a sunny September day.  Several sea birds were around – but they were sitting quietly sunning themselves.  The small whitecaps on the surf were splashing  against the rocks.  The loudest sound was the sound of the surf.  But this place alone is peace and quiet…not silence.

"In the world of religion and philosophy the practice of silence plays a most vital part.  It creates an atmosphere and enables the seeker to find access to an inner sanctuary entirely hidden from the restless and turbulent material world." – Swami Paramanada

I experienced true silence for the first time in February on a week long retreat in Northern California at Mount Madonna Center.  When I left for the retreat I had no idea it was to be in silence.  The first night I called my daughters back in New Hampshire and told them I wouldn't be calling home and that I would not be talking for the first half of the week.  They laughed…"How are you going to that mum!"  I hung up at the end of the conversation and the silence began.  What was this silence I was to experience?  Was it simply not talking?

I actually found it pretty easy not to talk.  This week of silence ended up being magical and transformational for me.  The days began with Yoga or QiGong before breakfast.  All our meals were in silence.  There was a special location in the dinning facility for the people on silent retreat.  But, there were still plenty of people who were not silent attending other events or who lived at the center. So there was silence – but it was not quiet.  Our long days were filled with meditation and creating illuminated mandalas and walks in nature….all in silence.

The only communication was an occasional greeting with a bow of the head or a with hands in the prayer position at the heart (the sign for Namaste`).  That week we were 30 women who did not know each other sitting in a circle without verbal communication.  Despite that, we learned to know each other…but it was at a different level… a spirit or soul level.  We connected heart to heart – spirit to spirit.  When we speak we meet each other's personality – much different than meeting a person's soul.  I have found we can sense a person's spirit by looking into the eyes – the portal to the soul.  The gift of a silent greeting.

When silent I have found I can see or hear the Divine Spirit's gifts at a much greater detail – awareness is heightened.  Textures, colors, shapes, smells and sounds really are more pronounced.  Silence before creative activities allows for accessing our higher nature and originality. Body, Mind and Spirit are working in unison to create.

The most profound aspect I found from silence was feeling connected to Spirit…the feeling of oneness, wholeness, unity.  The chatter in my mind eventually stopped and I got into a zone.  I caught myself "staring into space" but it was really just that I was completely "tuned in" I was "Be-ing".  The Divine was feeding my soul and raising the energy of my spirit.  Silence gave me back my energy and peace.  I was centered and the Spirit of Life had returned to me.  I till tear up when I tell people of this experience…it was so beautiful so strong – so full of love.  I feel called in a strong to share this with others – to facilitate this illuminating mandala process and the power of meditation and silence.  Illuminating Spirit!

"We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence.  See how nature – trees, flowers, grass-grows in silence; see the stars, the moon, and the sun, how they move in silence…We need silence to be able to touch souls." – Mother Teresa

Back home now every morning I give myself at least and hour or silence and meditation.  But, before any of my workshops and at least one day a month I carve out and "be" in silence for the day – to nourish my Soul and energize my Spirit.  When silent I can hear God's whispers giving me gentle guidance.  I hear the quiet advice from my committee (relatives and friends who have passed on).  I am once again centered, focused and at peace and connected to Spirit.

"The ordinary man says that he cannot hear it; that it is all an imagination; but the mystic hears it, because he has made his outer being silent and has found access to the inner shrine of his soul." – Swami Paramananda

We may not be able to make our worlds quiet but even so, we can enjoy silence – even for short periods of time.  The power of the spoken word is mighty. The power of silence can be mightier still.  What are you NOT going to say?  Let's spread our wings like the bird in silence and feel the wind of Spirit blow through.

A great booklet "Silence as Yoga" by Swami Paramananda can be found at www.chennaitmath.org

Namaste`

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Garden will not green-grow
-if you do not water it properly-